Koo Koo Kanga Roo
Koo Koo Kanga Roo
- Aug 28, 2021|Saturday 2:00 PM Buy Tickets
Koo Koo Kanga Roo is a dance party of the senses. For the last 12 years, lifelong friends and collaborators Bryan and Neil have toured the globe delighting fans with their high-energy music, infectious positivity, and interactive live show. They cut their teeth on the road, playing everything from DIY basements and birthday parties, to sharing main-stages with a wide array of genre-defying acts like Yo Gabba Gabba, The Aquabats, and Frank Turner.
Of course, the global pandemic of 2020 threatened to put an end to the carefree fun that had come to define the band, but instead of putting the group on pause or looking for office jobs, Bryan and Neil doubled down and created their most triumphant and expansive album yet. Legendary Minneapolis producer Lazerbeak (Lizzo, Doomtree, Trampled By Turtles) was brought in to craft the bombastic beats that would create the foundation of the project. Together Bryan, Neil and Beak set out to redefine the rules of what a “kids band” can sound like. With a friendship already built from their strong Twin Cities ties, the trio spent their lockdown sharing files and ideas remotely, determined to take on the heaviness of the year and create something they could hang their hopes on.
Slow Clap is the culmination of that year of writing and recording. Eleven meticulously crafted songs that are meant to be sung at the top of your lungs. Lazerbeak’s signature blend of hip-hop nostalgia, pulsing bass, and monstrous drums provide the backdrop for Bryan and Neil's rapid-paced rhymes and catchy as-all-heck hooks, all while showcasing some of the fellas most creative subject matter to date. “200 Worms” name-checks the actual worms that live in Bryan’s backyard compost bin, while the breakneck speed of “Putt Putt Butt Butt” might just convince you to dance your way through that next game of mini-golf. And then there's the honey anthem "Sticky Icky, which manages to sincerely big-up all of the hard-working beekeepers of the world over throwback drum breaks and bellowing horn stabs. The guys brought their rap friends along for the ride too. Murs pops up on the summer anthem “Ice Cold Lemonade,” Doomtree’s Sims tags in for the slip-n-slide ode “Backyard Swimsuit,” and Mega Ran tiptoes through a show-stealing verse on “Midnight Milk.” If it sounds like everyone is having a total blast, it's because they are.
With summer in their sights and a steadfast commitment to search out joy in even the most daunting circumstances, Koo Koo Kanga Roo are ready to plugin the speakers, flip on the strobe lights and bring their unique style of inclusive dance party to your doorstep once again. Slow Clap is a testament to the friendship, trust, and fun-loving ideas that Bryan and Neil have been building upon for over a decade - and it’s guaranteed to make you move your butt.
What safety measures is MCPA taking for this concert?
Based on the CDC’s recent recommendation and Governor’s updates, all unvaccinated employees and volunteers working the concert will be wearing face coverings inside.
We ask attendees to observe the guidelines below and other established social distancing procedures in order to maintain a safe environment and not jeopardize MCPA’s ability to present future events:
- Unvaccinated attendees are asked to wear masks while inside MCPA.
- Please remain 6 feet away from other patrons when outside of your pod.
- The restrooms will be sanitized throughout the evening and hand sanitizer stations will be available to patrons entering and leaving the building to use the restrooms.
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer frequently.
What if there is bad weather?
- Due to the sensitive equipment needed for this type of production, the show may be moved into Donnell Theatre or cancelled if there is the threat of extreme weather.
- The decision to cancel will be made by 9AM the day of the show.
- Cancellations will be communicated to the ticket holders via phone calls and/or email. The public will be notified through email, MCPA website and social media.
When can I arrive for the show?
Attendees will have access to the back parking lot starting at 12PM.
Where do I enter for the show?
- Parking is available in MCPA’s two back parking lots, entrances located on S. Cory, W. Front and S. West Streets. The W. Main Cross Street entrance will be open to pedestrians only.
- Staff members will take a touchless scan of your ticket and direct you to the General Admission seating area.
Will there be concessions?
- A concession stand serving a limited menu of various sodas, water, wine and beer will be set up outside.
- Social distancing will be necessary while waiting in line.
- MCPA is a part of DORA. Cups from other venues must be discarded when entering the parking lot and new cups are available at the bar.
- Feel free to bring snacks or a picnic, but no outside alcohol is allowed due to MCPA liquor license restrictions.
Do I need to bring my own chair?
No seating is provided, so please bring lawn chairs and/or blankets to make yourself comfortable. No canopies, tents, etc.